VIRGINIA BEACH – May was a busy month for new business licenses here, with the Commissioner of Revenue recording 343. Among the new business happenings:
- JOANN in Hilltop Plaza has moved a few doors down, taking over a larger space at the northwestern end of the strip mall. “We’re thrilled to be part of the Virginia Beach community and help shoppers channel their creativity through inspiration, guidance and quality products,” said Jill Soltau, president & CEO of the Cleveland, Ohio-based company. “As a proud part of the local business community, JOANN is pleased to contribute to the future of Virginia Beach’s creative pursuits.”
- After many years in business the Virginian Steakhouse, 620 First Colonial Road, appears to be closing its doors. The building that houses the restaurant was built in 1972. Pending final approval from the city it will be torn down and a Discount Tire Store will be built in its place.
- Everyone knows that there can never be too many pizza options and residents of Virginia Beach will soon have another: Donatos Pizza is opening soon in the Hilltop at 1833 Republic Road. Donatos is a Columbus, Ohio-based chain, with the nearest location in Newport News. In addition to the new 2,700-square-foot Virginia Beach location, Ricky Singh and Jay Patel have bought franchise rights covering Norfolk, Chesapeake, and Portsmouth. Donatos was founded by Ohio State University sophomore Jim Grote in 1963. In 1999 the chain was bought by McDonald’s but sold back to the Grote family in 2003.
- If you have a sweet tooth head on down to 352 Laskin Road (31 Ocean Shops) in the Oceanfront and visit The Candy Bar. The independent candy shop opened on May 17, and owner Steve Brodie says they have the largest selection of nostalgic candy in the area. The Candy Bar also has a great collection of European candy and chocolate, gourmet popcorn, cotton candy, and A snack department features exotic meat jerky and beef sticks, while the candy counter offers cased chocolates and gummies. There’s an array of novelty and nostalgic cold sodas and gifts for every occasion. Brodie said they offer corporate gifts as well with the option of printing logos on candy.
- The eyes have it! So if you need eyecare there’s a new choice, Blink Eyecare at 400 Laskin Road in the Oceanfront. Dr. Erin Vogt Stromberg is the optometrist and a graduate of the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. She has previous private practice experience in Virginia Beach and Northern Virginia. Blink offers a wide range of services, including eye and vision exams, Lasik eye surgery, and Ortho-K, a non-surgical technique that reshapes the cornea.
- Virginia Beach is getting a second Cook Out Restaurant. The new location will be at 1641 General Booth Blvd., and it will join the location at 5670 Indian River Road Cook Out serves burgers, BBQ, hot dogs, and shakes.