After a nearly month-long search, James City County Police say they’ve identified a suspect in a series of alleged larcenies Sept. 8 in several James City County neighborhoods.
Xavier McKay, 22 of Newport News, is facing over two dozen charges in connection with the alleged larcenies, including grand larceny of a firearm, five counts of grand larceny, two counts of petit larceny, and 17 counts of entering a vehicle without consent of owner with intent to commit a crime, according to James City County Police Department spokeswoman Stephanie Williams.
The alleged larcenies occurred overnight on Sept. 8 in the Adams Hunt, Longhill Station and Windmill Meadow neighborhoods, Williams said.
The victims told police their vehicles had been rummaged through and clothing, purses, change, cash, a laptop, a firearm and other miscellaneous items were taken.
A surveillance video released by police Sept. 12 shows a man wearing a collared shirt and a backward baseball cap opening the door to a sedan and leaning inside. After looking inside that vehicle, the video shows him closing the door, turning to an adjacent car, and reaching inside.
Police say they have identified the man in the video as McKay, Williams said.
A male juvenile acted as a lookout for McKay during the incidents, Williams added.
McKay was previously charged with petit larceny, larceny of checks, burglary at night to commit a felony, entering or setting in motion a vehicle, and other similar charges in York County, but all 29 charges were dropped, according to online court records.

