WILLIAMSBURG — Colonial Williamsburg (CW) is honoring military guests with free admission throughout Veterans Day weekend.
As part of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s (CWF) “Honoring Service in America” program, from Veterans Day (Nov. 11) through the following Sunday (Nov. 14), active duty, reservists, National Guard, retirees, veterans and their dependents will receive complimentary admission to the campus of Colonial Williamsburg, including its ticketed buildings.
The “Honoring Service in America” program was established to provide complimentary passes for military guests on both Memorial Day and Veterans Day each year. This program is made possible through a $100,000 grant received by CWF through The Home Depot Foundation.
In a Nov. 1, 2021 press release from CWF, it states that The Home Depot Foundation provides this grant as part of its commitment towards improving the homes and lives of the U.S. military veterans and their families. Since 2015, the program has distributed more than 45,000 tickets to military families.
Thursday, Nov. 11, CWF will be offering special military-themed events. These include:
- At 10 a.m., there will be a sixty minute long presentation on the Palace Green for the Veterans Day Proclamation Ceremony. This is presented in partnership with the Williamsburg Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution.
- At 11:45 a.m., Nation Builder George Washington will be portrayed at the Charlton Stage.
- At 2:45 p.m., Nation Builder Marquis de Lafayette will be portrayed at the Charlton Stage.
- At 3:30 p.m., Colonial Williamsburg will host the Military March Honoring America’s Veterans parade featuring the Colonial Williamsburg Fifes & Drums, Military Programs staff, as well as members of City of Williamsburg’s veterans organizations. The march will begin at Capitol Circle and end at Market Street Square where an interpreter portraying George Washington will provide an address behind the Courthouse.
- At 4:40 p.m., a lone bagpiper will perform on the roof deck of the Governor’s Palace as an End of Day Salute.
- At 7 p.m., an evening program, “In Defense of Liberty,” will take place at the Magazine. (*separate tickets at an additional cost are required for this event.)
Military families are invited to visit CW’s Liberty Lounge, which is complimentary to ticketed military guests. CW notes that 205,000 military guests and their families have utilized this space since its opening.
In order to receive a free “Honoring Service to America” single-day pass, guests must visit one of CW’s onsite ticket locations and provide appropriate military-related identification (for guests ages 10 years and older). Guests who separated prior to retirement may produce a copy of their form DD 214 (honorable discharge paperwork) as identification of service. Minor dependents must be accompanied by an adult. Service members do not need to be present in order for their dependents to claim passes as long as appropriate military identification for the dependent is produced.
CW also offers military discounts to its hotels, dining, and retail establishments, as well as its golf and spa facilities.
To learn more about this event and more, visit the website for CW or call (855) 296-6627.