HAMPTON ROADS — The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) are seeking the public’s input on potential transportation projects and initiatives.
In a set of nine virtual meetings, CTB is seeking the public’s feedback on upcoming projects recommended for funding as well as other initiatives that are being proposed.
The meetings will give Virginia residents the opportunity to learn more about and provide feedback on the following:
- The Draft FY 2022-2027 Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP), which allocates public funds to highway, road, bridge, rail, bicycle, pedestrian, public transportation, and transportation demand management projects. The Draft FY 2022-2027 SYIP identifies projects proposed for inclusion in the final program, which will be before the CTB at its June meeting. All federally eligible projects in the SYIP will be included in the federally required Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) to document how Virginia will obligate its federal funds. The Draft FY 2022-2027 SYIP includes projects recommended for funding in the following programs:
- SMART SCALE, a data-driven project prioritization process that directs limited funding to the most critical transportation needs. Projects are scored considering the following factors: safety, congestion reduction, accessibility, land use, environmental quality, and economic development.
- State of Good Repair, a program that provides funding for deteriorated pavements and structurally deficient bridges owned or maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and or localities.
- Innovation and Technology Transportation, a program that funds initiatives pertaining to high-tech infrastructure improvements.
- Interstate Operations and Enhancement, a program to improve the safety, reliability, and travel flow along interstate highway corridors.
- Comments will also be accepted for projects valued at more than $25 million.
The meetings will be held virtually using electronic communications in accordance with restrictions related to COVID-19. When announced during the meeting, public comment can be made by calling into a provided number and entering the provided PIN number. Callers will then be placed in a queue. Unfortunately, comments cannot be made through the livestreaming function. However, residents wishing to provide written comments can do so through the following link: http://ctb.virginia.gov/planning/springmeetings2021/default.asp.
Residents in the Hampton Roads District will be able to participate on Wednesday, May 5 at 6:00 p.m. Those wishing to participate are asked to call: (707) 518-3672 and enter PIN: 447 283 101#.
CATCH UP ON MORE STORIES FROM WYDAILY:
- Historic First Baptist Church to dedicate marker honoring local icon
- Don’t walk the plank this weekend at Pirates Invade Yorktown
- PHOTO GALLERY: Colonial Williamsburg’s “CW Lights” event
- ‘Kids in Kayaks’ returns to the James River
- As Anti-Asian hate crimes rise, students speak out about their personal experiences
- #UnmaskingPeninsula: How race, gender trauma affect people in Hampton Roads