JAMES CITY COUNTY — A Williamsburg family of four are having to start over after their house caught on fire last weekend.
Matt and Sarah Myott and their two young children arrived home Sunday, Jan. 30. to find smoke and flames coming from their house in the Raintree Villas subdivision.
Sarah was able to run inside the house and get the dogs out, unharmed.
While fire crews were able to contain the fire and there were no injuries, the house sustained damage.
A GoFundMe crowdsourced fundraiser has been set up to help Matt and Sarah as well as their two young children pick up the pieces.
Katie Feeney, Sarah’s sister and the organizer the GoFundMe campaign, is raising funds that will go towards providing clothing and supplies for the family. This is also meant to help them find a new place to live while they wait to find out if their home is salvageable.
“Unfortunately, they lost everything inside the home so they are having to start over completely,” Feeney said.
Feeney also said that she started the GoFundMe campaign because she is out-of-state, living hundreds of miles away, and “felt helpless” regarding her sister, brother-in-law, and their two children.
“I started with a goal of $5,000 but it took off from there and I have since upped the goal a few times since they have to replace almost 100 percent of their belongings and that is quite the financial undertaking,” she said.
To donate to the GoFundMe, visit here.