Annual York County BugFest is Back
York County Mosquito Control, York County Public Library, and York County Parks & Recreation are inviting the public to celebrate bugs at the 4th Annual BugFest, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30 at Grafton Middle School, 405 Grafton Dr., Yorktown.
There will be insect displays, local experts with bug facts, story time, crafts, activities and more. Bug-themed Story Time starts at 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the auditorium. Participants include the Virginia Cooperative Extension Office, Master Gardeners, Master Naturalists, ODU Tick Team, Colonial Beekeepers, and The Butterfly Society of Virginia. Food trucks will be on-site.
For more information about Mosquito Control in York County, contact the Mosquito Control office at 757-890-3790, or visit yorkcounty.gov/
Bon Secours Free Drive-Thru Flu Shots
Bon Secours is offering free drive-thru flu shots Saturday, Sept. 30 from 8 a.m. to noon, while supplies last.
Shots will be offered at multiple locations:
- Bon Secours Mary Immaculate Hospital, 2 Bernardine Drive, Newport News
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center, 3636 High St., Portsmouth
- Bon Secours Health Center at Harbour View, 5818 Harbour View Blvd., Suffolk
- Bon Secours Southampton Medical Center, 100 Fairview Drive, Franklin
“We love providing flu vaccines to the community each year. It’s a great opportunity to keep our neighbors healthy, while getting re-acquainted! Some neighbors have come every year since we started in 2010. It’s fun to see their families grow, and catch up — even if it’s only for a few minutes,” said Valerie Sommer Director of Nursing at Bon Secours Health Center at Harbour View emergency department.
FlixBus Announces New Service in Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Williamsburg
FlixBus announced its first service between Richmond and Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Williamsburg. The service, which is operated by Tribal Sun Bus, a FlixBus partner, began Sept. 7 and adds two additional daily trips in each direction to supplement the existing Greyhound Bus schedule.
Passengers can board at the following locations:
- Virginia Beach: 971 Virginia Beach Blvd
- Norfolk: 749 Church St.
- Williamsburg: 468 Boundary Street
“FlixBus is absolutely thrilled to have a presence in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Williamsburg,” said Francesca La Brecque, FlixBus’ Senior Manager, Government Affairs and Strategy. “Not only does this bolster the options families have to travel, but college students throughout that region will also benefit from the new service, as well. There is also a heavy veteran’s population in those markets, and we’re honored to give them easier access.”
In conjunction with its partner brand Greyhound, customers can book travel with FlixBus and Greyhound on either brands’ websites and apps. Tickets are now available at Greyhound.com and FlixBus.com or through the Greyhound or FlixBus mobile apps, and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and X.
Williamsburg Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution
Williamsburg Community Foundation to offer Small Capacity Building Grants
Williamsburg Community Foundation (WCF) is offering WCF Capacity Building Grants to support small, emerging, and grassroots nonprofits. Funding will be prioritized to help the organization be more effective and sustainable. Ammounts up to $1,500 (one-time funding) may be requested, and organizations may apply once per year.
According to WCF, the goal of the grant is to strengthen organizations so that they can ultimately apply for larger grants, and capacity building grants will be prioritized for organizations that have not been funded by WCF in the past.
- Must serve James City County, York County, and/or City of Williamsburg.
- Must serve one of the foundation’s priority areas: Arts & Culture, Children & Young Adults, Economic Mobility, Environment & Conservation, Health & Community Wellness, and Senior Services.
- Organizations must have an annual operating budget of under $50,000.
- Must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity, faith-based organization, or have a documented relationship with a fiscal agent who is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- Must have been a 501(c)(3) nonprofit long enough to have submitted at least one Form 990 to the IRS.
- Grant expenditures may include anything that helps the organization become stronger and more sustainable, including but not limited to: conferences and training for volunteers, staff, or board members, technology/software/computer purchases, professional services, strategic planning, etc.
- Grants may not be used for fundraising events or capital campaigns.
Apply online at WilliamsburgCommunityFoundation.org. Awards will be announced after Nov. 16. Deadline to Apply is Oct. 15.