Wednesday, June 12, 2024

New NPS Signs on Colonial Parkway Create Confusion

(Colonial National Historical Parkway)

WILLIAMSBURG — Visitors traveling the Colonial Parkway in the recent weeks may have noticed some newly-installed signs.

The 23-mile roadway, stretching from the York River at Yorktown to the James River at Jamestown, is a part of the National Park Service. As such, a park entrance fee is required for recreating in the park.

According to the Colonial National Historical Parkway Facebook page, the signs were put in place to both convey that information and to provide visitors the ability to pay the fee electronically in places other than a visitor center.

The fee does not apply to thru travelers that do not stop. 

“New fee signs installed along the parkway make paying the entrance fee easier and more convenient from wherever you are! Just scan the QR code to purchase daily ($15) or annual admission ($45) or visit one of our visitor centers for more options. Entrance fees are required for recreation anywhere within Colonial National Historical Park. This includes Yorktown Battlefield, the Colonial Parkway, and Jamestown Island,” the Colonial National Historical Parkway said in a Facebook post.

Under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, Colonial National Historical Park keeps 80% of those fees to improve visitor services and fund critical deferred maintenance projects in the park. The remaining 20% support similar efforts at parks that do not collect an entrance fee.
 

More information about fees and passes can be found on the Colonial National Historical Park Fees & Passes webpage.

WYDaily reached out to Colonial National Historical Parkway for further comment but has not receive a response at this time.

Related Articles

MORE FROM AUTHOR