HISTORIC TRIANGLE — Each week, WYDaily features a local musician, group, event, or venue as part of its Brews and Tunes! This week, Ben Mackin chats with local musician, Nathan Lienard
Who is that on stage?
Nathan Lienard is a workhorse of the local music scene. Several nights a week you can find him practicing his craft in restaurants and breweries all around Hampton Roads. During his sets he can win over almost any crowd with a solid mix of not often heard covers and originals with lyrics that make the listener think and feel.
Here are five fast facts about Nathan:
Q: What is your ideal room or venue to play in?
A: If I have got ten people who are really listening, to me that is more than fifty people drinking beer and talking. If there can be a room where you can connect with people, play your original songs and they really start to listen.
Q: What is your favorite guitar?
A: I’ve had a Martin HD-28 for about five years now. I’m starting to wear the wood out around the sound hole, so I’ve definitely banged on it a lot. One I would love to get is a Gibson SJ-200.
Q: Is there anyone around the area who you enjoy playing with?
A: I love any night that I can share the stage with someone like Billy Joe Daniel or Paul Todd. Those two guys can make the night. Two or three gigs afterwards when I am on my own it feels hollow because their parts are not there.
Q: What album or singer blows your mind?
A: There is a guy out of Georgia named Corey Smith. He was a school teacher who would only gig within an hour radius of his house, then after a few years he went to two hours and so on. Now my wife and I are going to up to Alexandria to see him play at the Birchmere. Now he plays all over and he has done it all independently. He writes his own songs. He is the one who inspired me to play out. Some of his early songs that I first got turned on to are why I started playing shows too.
Q: Where are you playing next?
A: Thursday, Feb. 10, 6 p.m. at Copper Fox Distillery, 901 Capital Landing Rd.
Friday, Feb. 11 at Brass Tap Williamsburg, 4904 Courthouse St.
- Brass Cannon Brewing, 5476 Mooretown Road
- Saturday, Feb. 12, 6 p.m. Eric Staab
- Brass Tap Williamsburg, 4904 Courthouse St.
- Friday, Feb. 11, 6 p.m. Nathan Lienard
- Saturday, Feb. 12, 7 p.m. Cathleen Cassidy
- Copper Fox Distillery, 901 Capital Landing Rd.
- Thursday, Feb. 10, 6 p.m. Nathan Lienard
- Culture Cafe, 747 Scotland St.
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 7 p.m. Liana Dagmar
- Jolene’s Bar and Grill, 3032 Richmond Rd.
- Friday Feb. 11, 7:30 p.m. Red Stapler Duo
- Saturday Feb. 12, 7:30 p.m. Calden and Company
- Rivah Rock Grill & Seafood, 1428 Outpost Rd, Lanexa
- Friday, Feb. 11, 6:30 p.m. Mark Calhoon
- Silver Hand Meadery, 224 Monticello Ave.
- Friday, Feb. 11, 7 p.m. Tony Mata
- Tradition Brewing, 700 Thimble Shoals Blvd. Newport News
- Saturday, Feb. 11 6:30 p.m. Derek Smith
- Two Drummers Smokehouse, 8864 Richmond Rd.
- Thursday, Feb. 10 6:30 p.m. Jon Smith
Want to be included in WYDaily’s weekly Brews and Tunes column? Send Ben Mackin an email at Benjamin.M@LocalDailyMedia.com!