Sunday, September 25, 2022

Kitchen fire in Toano Trace damages home, displaces family of four

A house fire displaced a James City County family Tuesday evening. (Courtesy James City County)
A house fire displaced a James City County family Tuesday evening. (Courtesy James City County)

A kitchen fire erupted Tuesday afternoon inside a Toano Trace subdivision in James City County, damaging a home and displacing a family of four, officials said.

No one was injured during the incident at the 7600 block of Woodridge Court where the fire occurred.

Three family members including a 3-year-old and their babysitter were able to get out safely, according to a statement from James City County Fire Battalion Chief  Al Catlett.  A fourth member, the family’s mother was at work at the time of the fire.

The fire broke out at about 4:20 p.m., in the kitchen as a result of oven cleaning, according Catlett’s release.

In their effort to control the fire,  the family used water and a malfunctioning fire extinguisher, which only made the the flames spread more.

The group then went outside and called 911 for help.

Firefighters from the James City Bruton Volunteer Fire Department assisted by the James City County Fire Department arrived within minutes to find significant smoke conditions and an active fire in the kitchen which was quickly extinguished.

The family’s mother was at work at the time of the fire, and the Red Cross is providing assistance.

James City County Fire Marshal’s determined the fire was accidental in nature.

Related Articles

MORE FROM AUTHOR