Demolition has begun at the site of the former James Blair Middle School.
External demolition of the building’s one-story wing began this week with the removal of roofing and insulation, according to a news release from the Williamsburg-James City County school division.
The inside of the building has been prepared for demolition and the new entrance to the school division’s central office is under construction.
The building is being demolished to make way for construction of the fourth middle school, which is slated to open in September 2018.
Visitors to the central office are encouraged to enter the building through the front lot until July 18. That section will be closed from July 18 to August 8 while the power and HVAC systems are shut down.
The central office reception area will be relocated to the James Blair annex building, which will continue to function as administrative offices for the school division.
Demolition will be completed by August 30. Updated timelines will be available as the project progresses.
- WJCC school board gets inside look at fourth middle school
- WJCC School Board Awards Demolition Contract for James Blair
- JCC Supes, WJCC School Board Approve Fourth Middle School Bond Financing
- City Manager Proposes Contingency Funds to Meet Fourth Middle Gap
- City Manager’s Proposed Budget Maintains Tax Rate, Adds Full-Time Positions
- JCC Supes, School Board Members Discuss Fourth MS, Remain at Stalemate
- WJCC School Board Awards Construction Management Contract for Fourth MS
- JCC Supes Vote to Issue Bonds to Pay for Fourth Middle School