Five students from the Williamsburg-James City County and York County school divisions will compete against students across the country after their art projects earned top prizes in the state PTA Reflections contest.
The PTA Reflections contest, a national initiative founded in 1969, rewards students for expressing themselves through the arts. The theme of this year’s contest was “Let Your Imagination Fly.”
The WJCC PTA Council and the YCSD PTA Council selected student submissions to represent each school division at the Peninsula district regional level. Fifteen submissions moved on to the state level in January.
The following students and their projects received an “Outstanding Interpretation” award from the state, the equivalent of first place, and will move on to the national competition.
- Oliver Sherwin of Tabb ES, in the intermediate division
- Heather Herrick of Hornsby MS, in the middle school division
- Grace Galindo of Hornsby MS, in the middle school division
- Margaret Roquemore of Tabb HS, in the high school division
- Caden Kuniyoshi of Tabb ES, in the primary division
Additionally, three students and their projects were recognized by the state with the equivalent of second- and third-place honors.
Award of Excellence (Second Place)
- Amelia Jacobs of Warhill HS, in the high school division
- Sophie Scheeran of Bruton HS, in the high school division
Award of Merit (Third Place)
- Grayson Arthur of Jamestown HS, in the high school division
The national award recipients will be announced May 1.