HAMPTON ROADS — Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of May 2-8.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closure westbound on May 2 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures eastbound on May 3-5 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure northbound on May 6 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures in both directions on May 2-6 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed May 2-6 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- May 1 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- May 3 from 9-11:30 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Closure of Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off-ramps from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Northbound: May 2-5
- Southbound: May 9-12
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- May 3-6 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 7 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- May 8 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- May 9 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Progressive, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions, starting as early as 8 p.m. on April 30, with slow rolls and stoppages starting as early as 12:01 a.m. on May 2. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on May 2 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions on May 2-8 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16)
- Alternating, nighttime, single-lane closures on northbound Witchduck Road at the I-264 overpass. Click here for the full traffic alert.
Laskin Road Widening and Bridge Replacement Project:
- Ongoing closure with detour of a portion of Winwood Drive at eastbound Laskin Road (on the southside of Laskin Road). Click here for the full traffic alert.
CATCH UP ON MORE FROM WYDAILY: