TIDEWATER — Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Historic Triangle can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of April 25 to May 1.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
- Alternating, single-lane closures southbound on April 26-29 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures northbound on April 27 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed April 25-29 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on April 26 from 9-11:30 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Full closure of the I-64 west exit ramp to Battlefield Boulevard south (Exit 290B) on April 26-30, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Closure of Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off-ramps from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert:
- Northbound: April 26 and May 2-5
- Southbound: May 9-12.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- April 26-29 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- April 30 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- May 1 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- May 2 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Progressive, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions, starting as early as 8 p.m. on April 30, with slow rolls and stoppages starting as early as 12:01 a.m. on May 2. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Multi-lane closures on I-264 east between Newtown Road (Exit 15) and Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on April 25-29 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on April 25-26 and April 30 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16).
- Alternating, nighttime, single-lane closures on northbound Witchduck Road at the I-264 overpass. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Brief, intermittent slow rolls with stoppages of up to 15 minutes on I-464 in both directions near the I-64 interchange on May 1-2 from 6-11 a.m. and 3-8 p.m.
CATCH UP ON MORE STORIES FROM WYDAILY: