WILLIAMSBURG — Colonial Williamsburg will once again honor American military service by offering free admission during Veterans Day weekend, Friday through Sunday, Nov. 11-13, to all active-duty military, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, retirees, and their direct dependents.
Colonial Williamsburg, in partnership with The Home Depot Foundation, promises free admission — including admission to historic trades and sites in the Historic Area, admission to the Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg, and complimentary shuttle service, it announced. Special military-themed programming, including a military march and commemorative ceremonies honoring America’s veterans, will be offered throughout the day on Friday, Nov. 11.
Colonial Williamsburg will also host a series of special events honoring veterans on Friday, Nov. 11, including:
- A 60-minute Veterans Day Proclamation Ceremony beginning at 10 a.m. on Palace Green presented in partnership with the Williamsburg Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution.
- Cost of War at 1:30 p.m. in the Hennage Auditorium inside the Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg. Join Colonel George Washington as he discusses the physical and mental toll that the Seven Years’ War took on individuals on all sides of the conflict.
- Military March Honoring America’s Veterans at 3:30 p.m. featuring the Colonial Williamsburg Fifes & Drums, Military Programs staff, and members of Williamsburg community veterans’ groups. The march will begin at Capitol Circle and conclude at Market Square with a military muster and salute to the citizen soldier ceremony behind the Courthouse.
- “End of Day Salute” at 4:40 p.m. performed by a lone bagpiper from the roof deck of the Governor’s Palace.
- 18th-Century Field Music with the Fifes & Drums at 4:40 p.m. featuring a demonstration of the music and drill of various military ceremonies from an 18th-century soldier’s working day in Market Square North behind the Courthouse.
- In Defense of our Liberty evening program will begin at 7 p.m. at the Magazine, where participants learn about life as a Continental Army recruit. Separate tickets at an additional cost are required. Attendees must be at least 9 years old to participate.
During their visit, military personnel, veterans, and their families are invited to visit the Liberty Lounge for complimentary refreshments and the company of fellow servicemen and women. According to a press release, the Liberty Lounge has welcomed more than 240,000 military guests and their families since opening in 2016. Colonial Williamsburg will also offer exclusive military discounts at a variety of locations.
Free “Honoring Service to America” single-day passes for Colonial Williamsburg are available at all onsite ticket locations with proper ID. Minor dependents must be accompanied by an adult, and dependents ages 10 and over must present a valid dependent ID. Service members need not be present for qualifying guests to receive free tickets, which will be provided to dependent family members of currently deployed troops with appropriate identification. Veterans who separated before retirement can bring a copy of their honorable discharge paperwork, form DD 214, as identification of service.
Additional information can be found on the Colonial Williamsburg website or by calling 855-296-6627.