Friday, June 9, 2023

Tribe Men’s Soccer Earns 1-1 Draw at No. 4 North Carolina


CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Despite playing with only 10 men for nearly the final 40 minutes, the William & Mary men’s soccer team played No. 4 North Carolina to a 1-1 draw on Friday night on the road.

Freshman Ryder Bell tallied the Tribe’s lone goal in the match. With the result, the Tribe now sits at 1-1-1 on the year, while the Tar Heels are 2-0-1.

“We are really pleased with the performance and, under the circumstances, not disappointed with a tie,” Coach Chris Norris said. “Once again, we looked dangerous and our defensive organization was much improved. Most importantly, we showed great unity and character after going a man down.”

William & Mary had the first chance of the match off a corner kick in the eighth minute.

Freshman Antonio Bustamante sent the ball in, and found sophomore William Eskay. The sophomore turned a shot on goal, but James Pyle saved it.

North Carolina had a chance moments later in the 15th minute. Nico Melo found some space to fire a shot, but redshirt junior Mac Phillips was there for his first stop of the night.

The Green and Gold jumped on the board first with a marker in 44th minute. William Eskay sent a one-touch pass to Bell, who beat the Carolina keeper. Bell’s second goal of the season gave the Tribe an early 1-0 lead.

UNC found the equalizer right before the halftime horn. Tucker Hume sent a header on frame that was turned away by a Tribe defender. The rebound found the head of Jonathan Campbell, who scored into a empty net. The tally tied the score 1-1.

Bell nearly found his second goal of the night in the 61st minute. The freshman found some space, and uncorked his shot off of the cross bar.

Phillips made some big stops down the stretch to keep the game knotted at 1-1. He turned away a shot from Omar Holness in the 72nd minute, before making a save on a Jordan McCray try in the 83rd minute. Maybe his biggest and best save of the game came in the 88th minute when Hume found some space and uncorked a shot that he made a diving save on.

The Green and Gold nearly found the game-winner in the 89th minute when William Eskay found some space on the right side and sent a shot on frame. UNC goalie Sam Euler made the save.

North Carolina had the only shot in the first overtime period. In the 99th minute Alex Olofson found some space from the left side and fired a shot that sailed high.

W&M had three chances in the second overtime period. Senior Jackson Eskay had the first chance when his shot in the 101st minute deflected off of defender and was saved by Euler. Moments later, a shot from Bustamante was blocked by a Tar Heel defender. The final chance came from juniorReilly Maw, who had his shot saved by Euler

The Tar Heels also had a pair of chances in the second overtime. Omar Holness was able to turn a shot that sailed high in the 104th minute, before Alex Olofson sent a shot wide as time expired in the match.

UNC held a 15-10 advantage in shots, which included a 6-5 advantage in shots on goal. Maw, Bell, and the Eskay brothers all recorded a pair of shots for the Green and Gold. Phillips finished the match with a season-high five saves for the Tribe.

The college returns to action in eight days when they travel to nationally ranked Coastal Carolina on Sept. 12. Kickoff for that match is set for 7 p.m. The Green and Gold then return home to square off with Charlotte at 7 p.m. Sept. 15.

Related Articles