Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Mobile, single-lane closures eastbound July 20 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel:
- Single-lane closure northbound July 19 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure southbound July 21-22 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions July 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
George P. Coleman Bridge
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions July 23 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64, Newport News:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between Fort Eustis Boulevard (exit 250) and Route 238/Lee Hall (exit 27) on July 18 from 12:01 a.m. to 9 a.m., with brief, intermittent stoppages beginning as early as 6 a.m. until 9 a.m.
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed July 18-22 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages to shift traffic to the right side of the I-64 west off-ramp to Newman Road/Route 199 (Humelsine Parkway) in Lightfoot July 19 between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages to shift traffic to the right side of the Newman Road/Route 199 on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot July 21 between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199/Newman Road west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199/Newman Road to follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199/Newman Road east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- For a full list of on-going traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page: 64highrise.org/news_and_
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- July 19-22 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 23 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- July 24 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- July 25 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Closure with detour of northbound Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off-ramps on July 18-19 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/2VRwpzx
- Full closure of the exit ramp from I-64 west to George Washington Highway (exit 296) on July 21-22 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on July 18-22 from as early as 7 p.m. until 5 a.m.
- Full closure of Newtown Road at the I-264 interchange on July 19-22 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/2TdwVGY
Interstate 564 (I-564)
- Consecutive, double-lane closures on I-564 west between the I-64 west interchange and Terminal Boulevard:
- Starting July 16 at 7 p.m. through July 19 at 4 a.m.
- Starting July 23 at 7 p.m. through July 26 at 4 a.m.
Other Notable Closures
Laskin Road Widening and Bridge Replacement Project:
- Closure with detour of a portion of Winwood Drive at eastbound Laskin Road (on the southside of Laskin Road) on July 19-21. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/3kizliF