Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, single-lane closures:
- eastbound on July 13-14 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- westbound on July 12-15 starting as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel:
- Single-lane closure northbound on July 12 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Single-lane closure northbound on:
- July 6 from noon to 3 p.m.
- July 7-9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64, Newport News:
- Brief, intermittent stoppages on I-64 in both directions between Fort Eustis Boulevard (exit 250) and Route 238/Lee Hall (exit 247) on July 17-18 from midnight to 9 a.m. on both days.
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed July 11-15 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages to shift traffic to the right side of the I-64 west on- and off-ramps at Newman Road/Route 199 (Humelsine Parkway) in Lightfoot (exits 234A and 234B) July 13-15 between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199/Newman Road west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199/Newman Road to follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199/Newman Road east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- July 11 from noon to 5 p.m.
- July 12 from 9-11:30 a.m.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
For a full list of on-going traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page: 64highrise.org/news_and_
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- July 12-15 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 16 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- July 17 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- July 18 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp to I-64 west from southbound George Washington Highway on July 12 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorists should follow detour signs to the northbound George Washington Highway on-ramp.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
- Full closure on July 11-12 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- I-264 west (inside set) off-ramp to I-64 east
- I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 east (exit 14A)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on July 11-18 from as early as 7 p.m. until as late as noon.
- Full closure of northbound Newtown Road at the I-264 interchange on July 12 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 664 (I-664)
I-664, Newport News
- Full closure of the off-ramp from I-664 north to 36th Street (exit 5A) on July 14-15 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.