Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
The Virginia Department of Transportation will suspend most highway work zones and lift lane closures on the interstates and other major roads in Virginia for Independence Day travel beginning noon, Friday, July 2 until noon, Tuesday, July 6. Click here to view exceptions in the Hampton Roads region.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closures in both directions on July 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed June 27 to July 1 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages on I-64 east near Route 143/Camp Peary (exit 238) on July 1 beginning after midnight.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive east of Bruton High School on June 30 to July 1 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. and July 2 from 7 a.m. to noon.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Fenton Mill east of Route 199 on June 28-29 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- June 26 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- June 25-29 starting as early as 7 p.m. to as late as 4 a.m.
- June 28 from 9-11:30 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289) on June 28 to July 1 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from southbound George Washington Highway to I-64 west on June 27 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/3h3ME3f
- Full directional closures (northbound and southbound) of Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off-ramps from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. on June 28-29. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/3h3ME3f
Interstate 264 (I-264)
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on June 27 to July 1 from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on June 27 to July 1 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.