Welcome to On the Road! Replacing Know Before You Go, this column will bring your weekly lane closures and roadwork report as well as some transportation-related news from this past week!
Do you have a tip or story idea? We want to hear from you! Send us an email at Info@WYDaily.com!
This list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Mobile, single-lane closure westbound on June 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures southbound on June 2-3 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures northbound on June 5 from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed May 30 to June 3 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages to shift traffic to the inside portion of the I-64 east off-ramp at Route 143/Merrimac Trail (exit 238) starting as early as 9 p.m. on June 1.
- Single-lane closures on Route 143/Merrimac Trail at the I-64 overpass June 2-4 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- June 1-3 from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- June 2 from 9-11:30 a.m.
- June 4 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Full closure of the exit ramp from I-64 west to Battlefield Boulevard south (exit 290B) on June 1-5, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/3wpAiZi
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- June 1-3 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 4 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- June 5 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- June 6 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on June 1-6 from 8 p.m. until as late as noon, including a consecutive double-lane closure on I-264 east on June 4 at 10 p.m. to June 7 at 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (exit 16)
- Overnight lane closures from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. with full-directional intermittent stoppages between midnight and 5 a.m. on northbound Witchduck Road at the I-264 overpass. These stoppages are an addition to the work listed in the full traffic alert here: conta.cc/31p8HKt
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on June 1-4 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The off-ramp from I-264 west to Lynnhaven Parkway (exit 19A) will be closed from midnight to 5 a.m. on June 2-4.
Other notable closures
- Brief traffic stoppages and single-lane closures at the intersection of Laskin Road and First Colonial Road on June 6 as early as 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/3paGsud
- The on-ramp from College Drive to the Western Freeway (Route 164) will be closed on June 1-3 from 7 p.m. to 6 a.
CATCH UP ON MORE STORIES FROM WYDAILY: