HAMPTON ROADS — Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of May 2-8.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels:
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on May 10-13 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound on May 12 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure eastbound on May 16 from 2-3 a.m. and westbound from 3-4 a.m. for tide gate testing.
High Rise Bridge, I-64:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on May 10-11 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264:
- Single-lane closures westbound on May 10-11 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64, Newport News:
- Brief, intermittent slow rolls on I-64 in both directions between Fort Eustis Boulevard (exit 250) and Route 143 (exit 243) on May 15-16 from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed May 9-13, starting as early as 7 p.m. until as late as 6 a.m.
- Traffic shifts and brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled overnight on I-64 at the Queens Creek Bridges starting as early as May 12 eastbound and May 13 westbound.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- May 8 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- May 9-13 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Full closure of the I-64 west exit ramp to Battlefield Boulevard south (exit 290B) on May 10-11 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp to I-64W from northbound George Washington Highway (US-17) on May 12-13 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Closure of Military Highway between the I-64 on- and off-ramps from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., Southbound: May 9-12. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/3gtq3i1
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- May 10-13 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 14 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- May 15 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- May 16 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on May 10-15 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road to Witchduck Road:
- May 9-15 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 14-16 from 8 p.m. until as late as noon
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (exit 16)
- Overnight lane closures from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. with full-directional intermittent stoppages between midnight and 5 a.m. on May 10-15 on northbound Witchduck Road at the I-264 overpass. These stoppages are an addition to the work listed in the full traffic alert here: conta.cc/31p8HKt
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Route 460 west to I-264 east on May 10-11 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
CATCH UP ON MORE FROM WYDAILY: