The city’s Department of Human Services will begin accepting applications for the Cooling Assistance Program on June 15 until the program ends on Aug. 15. The program provides financial assistance for the purchase or repair of cooling equipment and/or payment of an electric bill to operate cooling equipment.
To be eligible, a household must contain at least one vulnerable individual who is:
- Younger than 6 years old, or
- older than 60 years old, or
In addition, households must:
- Be in Virginia Beach.
- Have a cooling expense responsibility.
- Provide a copy of their current electric bill.
- Not exceed earned and unearned income limits.
Applications can be completed online, by phone at 855-635-4370, or printed off the Human Services Financial Assistance webpage and left in the outside drop box at our main building at 3432 Virginia Beach Blvd.
Applications will be available online beginning June 15.