Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Dec. 16 to Dec. 22.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia, download the 511 smartphone app, dial 511 or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1680AM.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 with signed detours in place, on Dec. 16-20, as follows:
- I-64 east and west to Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 143 (exit 243B), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 60 on-ramp to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 west (exit 242A), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 east (exit 242B), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 199 east and west on-ramps to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Jefferson Avenue (Route 143) on-ramps to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Yorktown Road (Route 238) on-ramp to I-64 east, as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
**Detour signs will be in place. All ramps will not be closed at the same time to maintain access to the detour routes.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Yorktown Road, Penniman Road and Jefferson Avenue at the I-64 overpasses on Dec. 16-22, from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Colonial Parkway to Lee Hall (exit 247) Dec. 16-20, starting as early as 8 p.m. until 5 a.m eastbound, and as early as 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. westbound.
- Starting overnight on Dec. 16-20, eastbound traffic shifts will continue on I-64 between the western limits of the Segment III Project, approximately one mile west of Route 199/Lightfoot (exit 234) and the Queens Creek bridges (mile marker 239), weather permitting. Traffic will be shifted to the outside lane and shoulder to allow for clearing in the median and construction of the new travel lane.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242), Dec. 16-20, starting as early as 7 p.m. until 5 a.m.
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel
- Single-lane closure east, Dec. 17-18, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure west, Dec. 19-20, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Southside – High Rise Bridge
- I-64 west traffic will be slowed to approximately 15 mph and potentially stopped between the Great Bridge Boulevard Bridge and the I-464 interchange beginning at 8 p.m. on Dec. 19 to 5 a.m. Dec. 20 for approximately 20 minutes for overhead sign work. The operation may be repeated.
I-64 Express Lanes: Full closures in both directions.
- Dec. 16, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Single-lane closure north Dec. 16-18, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure north/south Dec. 17-21, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closure south Dec. 19, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure south Dec. 20, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).