Many nonprofits in Hampton and Newport News are in need of volunteers. The list of opportunities below include teaching adults how to read and write.
- Virginia Peninsula Foodbank– organize food pantries, inspect donations, stock shelves and pack food bags.
- VersAbility Resources– help people with disabilities.
- Hampton Roads Economical Lodgings and Provisions– help serve the homeless and others in need. Currently needs medical professionals.
- Peninsula Reads– teach adults how to speak, read and write English.
- Peninsula Agency on Aging– deliver meals to seniors and drive them to medical appointments.
- Housing Development Corporation of Hampton Roads– help repair homes for low-income families.
- LINK of Hampton Roads– pick up donations, help move people into housing and teach arts and crafts.
For more volunteer opportunities, visit Serve the City, United Way of the Virginia Peninsula or VolunteerMatch.