Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Oct. 28 to Nov. 3
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia, download the 511 smartphone app, dial 511 or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1680AM.
- Extended bridge lifts. Detours are the Midtown Tunnel or the High Rise Bridge.
- I-264 east: Oct. 28 between 3-4 a.m.
- I-264 west: Oct. 28 between 4-6 a.m.
- Two stoppages for bridge lifts, Oct. 28 between 6-8 a.m., lasting no longer than 20 minutes. Traffic will be allowed to clear between lifts. Motorists should expect delays.
- Single-lane closures north Oct. 28-29, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures in both directions Oct. 30-Nov. 2, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 with signed detours in place, on Oct. 28 – Nov. 1, as follows:
- I-64 east and west to Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 143 (exit 243B), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 60 on-ramp to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 west (exit 242A), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 east (exit 242B), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 199 east and west on-ramps to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Jefferson Avenue (Route 143) on-ramps to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Yorktown Road (Route 238) on-ramp to I-64 east, as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Starting overnight on Oct. 29 through Nov. 1, westbound traffic shifts will begin from the eastern project limits near Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) to just past Route 143/Camp Peary (exit 238). Traffic will be shifted to the outside lane and shoulder to allow for clearing in the median and construction of the new travel lane.
- Consecutive shoulder closure and 55 mph speed advisory on I-64 east from Merrimac Trail to the Queens Creek Bridge, starting Oct. 14, for shoulder widening operations. Closure and speed reduction estimated to be in place for approximately 3 weeks.
- Single-lane closure west at the tunnel, Oct. 28-30, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure west/east at the Willoughby bridge;
- Oct. 28-Nov. 1, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Nov. 2, 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Nov. 3, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Single-lane closure east at the tunnel, Nov. 1, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Oct. 27, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
I-264: Full ramp closures. Signed detours will be in place:
- I-264 west on-ramp closure from Market Street Oct. 28-Nov. 2, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
I-264 east off-ramp closure to First Colonial Road north Oct. 30 and Nov. 1, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements
- I-64 west ramp closure to I-264 east (Exit 284B) Nov. 2 and Nov. 3, 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. Signed detour will be in place.
- I-64 west traffic will be slowed to approximately 15 mph and potentially stopped between the Greenbrier Parkway and the I-264 interchange beginning about 12:01 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 28, for approximately 15 minutes for overhead sign work. Traffic will be restricted from entering I-64 west at Indian River Road during this operation. The operation may be repeated.
- Newtown Rd. south is closed under I-264 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. weeknights through mid-November. Signed detours are in place.
- Full weekend closures of Newtown Road south at the I-264 overpass 7 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, Nov. 2-5, Nov. 9-12 and Nov. 16-19 (if necessary).
- The left turn onto Center Dr. from Newtown Road north closed until mid-November for utility relocation work at Newtown Road Motorists will also be restricted from turning left out of Center Drive onto Newtown Road north. Signed detours will be in place for both movements.
- Single-lane closure south Oct. 28-30, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-564 east from the Runway Tunnel to Terminal Boulevard single-lane closures Oct. 29, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- I-564 east from the Runway Tunnel to Terminal Boulevard dual-lane closures Oct. 29-31, 7 p.m. to 2 p.m the next day.
- I-564 east at the Runway Tunnel dual-lane closure Oct. 29-Nov. 2, 10 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- I-564 east from the Runway Tunnel to Terminal Boulevard dual-lane closures Nov. 1, 7 p.m. to 11 a.m.
- I-564 east at the Runway Tunnel dual-lane closures starting 7 p.m. Nov. 2 until 2 p.m. on Nov. 5.
- I-564 east from the Runway Tunnel to Terminal Boulevard single-lane closure Nov. 3, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- I-564 west from I-64 to Terminal Boulevard dual-lane closure Oct. 29-Nov. 3, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- I-564 west at the Runway Tunnel single-lane closure Nov. 1, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- I-564 west from Terminal Blvd to the Runway Tunnel dual-lane closures starting 7 p.m. Oct. 26 until 2 p.m. on Oct. 29.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).