Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Man dead following shooting Friday. Incident related to home invasion in Hampton, police say

NEWPORT NEWS — Police here started investigating the shooting death of a man Friday morning.

But after further investigation, Newport News Police found out the shooting happened in Hampton so the case was turned over to Hampton Police.

The shooting victim was found in the 100 block of Rose Court in Newport News at around 3:13 a.m.

When officers got to the scene, they found “a male victim suffering from a gunshot wound,” authorities said in a news release.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. Information on his identity was not immediately released.

Hampton Police Friday afternoon said this shooting “is related to the home invasion that occurred in the 1800 block of Hurst Drive,” in Hampton, also on Friday morning.

The circumstances in both incidents remain under investigation “as well as the involvement of the individuals detained in the vehicle pursuit that occurred in Baltimore County,” police said.

Police said the Hurst Drive home invasion happened around 2:37 a.m.

“Officers began to arrive in the area and made contact with one of the victims, an adult male, who was suffering from non-life-threatening injuries,” Hampton Police said in a news release. “The victim related that while asleep and within his home that two unknown suspects forced their way into his residence.”

Once the suspects (two men) were inside, they “began to assault one of the adult male victims until the other adult male victim attempted to come to his aid,” police said.

One of the residents suffered multiple stab wounds, police said. The other was “physically assaulted.”

Both were taken to a local hospital.

Authorities are asking anyone who may information about the incidents to call the Crime Line at 888-LOCK-U-UP.

John Mangalonzohttp://wydaily.com
John Mangalonzo (john@localdailymedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.

Related Articles

MORE FROM AUTHOR