The following organizations will be closed Friday.
- Ferguson Center for the Arts – closed until Monday, Sept. 17.
- The Virginia Living Museum – closed on Saturday, Sept. 15; will re-open Sunday at 10 a.m..
- Newport News Public Schools – closed until further notice.
- The Mariner’s Museum and Park – open on Saturday, Sept. 15.
- Peninsula Fine Arts Center – open on Saturday, Sept. 15.
- Peninsula SPCA – closed until further notice.
- Peninsula Regional Animal Shelter – closed until further notice.
- Newport News Circuit Court – closed until further notice.
- Newport News General District Court– closed until further notice.
- Newport News Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court – closed until further notice.
- Newport News Solid Waste Collection – will resume Monday and be delayed one day.
Starting Wednesday the following city buildings were closed (no updates on reopening):
- Ruppert Sergeant Building (Assessor, Commissioner of the Revenue, Economic Development, Procurement, Treasurer)
- Hampton History Museum and Tourist Information Center.
- Healthy Families.
- Air Power Park and Athletics.
- Bluebird Gap Farm.
- Buckroe Beach Park and Fishing Pier.
- Gosnold’s Hope Park.
- Fort Monroe Community Center.
- West Hampton Community Center.
- Virginia Air and Space Center – closed Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Reopens at noon Sunday.
Multiple events and locations within the city of Hampton have closed, been canceled or been rescheduled in anticipation of Hurricane Florence.
- Virginia Peninsula Foodbank– closed Thursday and Friday.
- No trash, recycling or bulk pickups Thursday, Sept. 13, and Friday, Sept. 14. Please DO NOT take toters or bulk trash to the curb, because of high winds and flooding.
- Hampton City Schools are closed as of Tuesday, Sept. 11, until further notice.
- Hampton courts will close at noon Wednesday through the end of the week.
- Hampton University and Thomas Nelson Community College are closed through the end of the week.
- Langley Air Force Based is closed to everyone but essential personnel.
- Hampton VA Medical Center is closed. Veterans Disaster Response Line: 800-507-4571.
- Fort Monroe National Monument is closed as of Tuesday, Sept. 11.
- HRT will suspend service from Thursday through Sunday.
- The Community Development Department will stop normal construction inspections after the close of business on Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018. They will resume after any damage assessments are completed.
- Hampton 101 scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 22, from 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. has been postponed to Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018 from 8:30 a.m. to 1 pm.
Newport News and Hampton closures
- Boys and Girls Club of the Virginia Peninsula -all locations closed until further notice.
- Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce – will open Monday, Sept. 13.
- Riverside Health System – for a complete list of closings click here.
- Hampton Roads Transit – all ferry, bus and light rail service are suspended until Monday, Sept. 17.