Monday, April 15, 2024

Man, 18, dead following shooting

A 17-year-old boy is in police custody following a deadly shooting in the 1st block os Salem Street Sunday. (HNNDaily photo/Courtesy of Hampton Police)
A 17-year-old boy is in police custody following a deadly shooting in the 1st block os Salem Street Sunday. (HNNDaily photo/Courtesy of Hampton Police)

HAMPTON — A 17-year-old boy was arrested Sunday in connection with shooting here that left a man dead.

Police said the teen is charged with murder, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, possession of a firearm by a minor, reckless handling of a firearm and shooting within an occupied dwelling.

Information on his identity was not immediately released.

Authorities allege the teen shot and killed Avary Pope-Moore, 18, of Hampton, inside a home.

The shooting happened Sunday in the 1st block of Salem Street – dispatchers received a call about the incident at 5:50 p.m.

There, police and emergency medical crews found Pope-Moore inside the home “suffering from a gunshot wound.”

He died at the scene.

Police said Pope-Moore and the 17-year-old “were involved in an altercation within the residence when the suspect displayed a firearm and shot the victim.”

“The exact motive and circumstances surrounding the incident remain under investigation,” police said in a news release.

John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzohttp://wydaily.com
John Mangalonzo (john@localdailymedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.

Related Articles

MORE FROM AUTHOR