Sunday, February 25, 2024

This registered sex offender surfed the web for cartoons ‘depicting the sexual abuse of minors’

NEWPORT NEWS — A federal jury on Friday found a 46-year-old Newport News man guilty of attempted receipt of obscene images depicting the sexual abuse of children, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and penalties for a registered sex offender.

Elmer E. Eychaner III faces a mandatory minimum of 25 years in prison when he is sentenced on Aug. 23.

According to court records and evidence presented at trial, Eychaner previously was convicted in federal court of child pornography crimes in 2008.

On June 13, 2016, Eychaner began a period of federal supervision in the Eastern District of Virginia, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

He originally was prohibited from having a computer, but he requested one so he could look for a better job. The probation office allowed Eychaner to have a computer, but it was monitored through a third-party company.

On Nov. 17, 2016, Eychaner went onto his government-monitored computer and searched for obscene cartoon images depicting the sexual abuse of minors, federal prosecutors said.

He used voice recognition software to try to evade the computer-monitoring software. After he was done searching for the images, he deleted his search history, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

He called his federal probation officer the following day and confessed. When the probation officer told Eychaner she was coming to collect his computer, he admitted that he had removed the hard drive and thrown it down a storm drain, prosecutors said.

Eychaner previously was convicted of promoting obscenity to minors in North Dakota on Aug. 21, 1992, and gross sexual imposition in the same state on May 10, 1994.

John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzohttp://wydaily.com
John Mangalonzo (john@localdailymedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.

Related Articles

MORE FROM AUTHOR