Welcome to On the Road! This column will have your weekly lane closures and roadwork reports for this coming week!
The list below covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
NOTE: This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Mobile, single-lane closures westbound Sept. 13-16 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound Sept. 15 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, I-664:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound Sept. 14 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closure northbound Sept. 15 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown Tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
Interstate 64 (I-64)
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east from Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Sept. 10 from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. and Sept. 11 from 9 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) in Lightfoot to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed Sept. 12-16 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift and brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled overnight on I-64 east between Route 199/Newman Road (exit 234) and the Queens Creek bridge starting as early as Sept. 15.
- Full closure of the I-64 east on- and off-ramps at Route 143/Merrimac Trail (exit 238) Sept. 12 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive near Bruton High School Sept. 13-17, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199/Newman Road west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199/Newman Road to follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199/Newman Road east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- For a full list of ongoing traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page: 64highrise.org/news_and_
- For additional information about the below closures and detours, click here: https://conta.cc/3A2SQAY
- Closure of Great Bridge Boulevard at the I-64 overpass Sept. 11 from 11 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-64 West off-ramp (exit 292A) to Great Bridge Boulevard Sept. 11 from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-64 west off-ramp (exit 291B) to Route 168 south Sept. 13-16 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Closure of northbound Military Highway at the I-64 overpass Sept. 16 and Sept. 19-20 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Sept. 13-16 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Sept. 17 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Sept. 18 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Sept. 19 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64, Denbigh Boulevard Bridge Replacement Project, Newport News:
- Double-lane closures at the Denbigh Boulevard overpass with brief, intermittent stoppages up to 20 minutes:
- on I-64 east Sept. 12-13 between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- on I-64 west Sept. 13-16 between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- Lane closure under flagger control on Denbigh Boulevard, between Millwood Drive and Pocahontas Drive, with brief, intermittent stoppages Sept. 16-17 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
I-64, Express Lanes:
- Full closure in both directions:
- Sept. 13 from 9-11:30 a.m.
- Sept. 13-15 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Sept. 18 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Full ramp closure from Northampton Boulevard north (Route 13) to I-64 east Sept. 12-16 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure from Northampton Boulevard south (Route 13) to I-64 east and west Sept. 12-16 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64, Virginia Beach/Chesapeake:
- Triple-lane closures on I-64 east between Twin Bridges in Virginia Beach and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289A/B) in Chesapeake Sept. 13-17 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., with brief, intermittent stoppages starting after midnight Sept. 15 and Sept. 17.
Interstate 264 (I-264)
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) Sept. 12-19 from 7 p.m. until as late as 10 a.m.
- Consecutive, double-lane closure on I-264 west between Witchduck Road (exit 16) and Newtown Road (exit 15) from Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. to Sept. 20 at 5 a.m.
- Consecutive, single-lane closure on I-264 east from the Greenwich Road flyover to Witchduck Road (exit 16) beginning as early as Sept. 10 at 10 p.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/3tuuI7L
Interstate 564 (I-564)
- Sept. 10 at 7 p.m. through Sept. 13 at 4 a.m.
- Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. through Sept. 20 at 4 a.m.Consecutive, double-lane closures on I-564 west between the I-64 west interchange and Terminal Boulevard
Other Notable Closures:
Laskin Road, Virginia Beach:
- Closure with detour of a portion of Fremac Drive in Virginia Beach beginning as early as Sept. 17 at 8 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: https://conta.cc/3h9WrWw
Route 17, Carrollton:
- Full closure on Route 17 south (Carrollton Boulevard) at Route 258 (Brewers Neck Boulevard) Sept. 15-18 from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.