JAMES CITY COUNTY — The REV3 Triathlon may cause road delays on Route 5 near Chickahominy Riverfront Park (CRP) on Saturday, June 26 and Sunday, June 27.
On Saturday, a sprint triathlon and kids duathlon will occur between 5-11 a.m. and impact Route 5 and CRP. On Sunday, Olympic and half triathlon events will occur between 5 a.m. and 1 p.m. Park patrons will be impacted, but the park, swimming pool and splash pad will remain open for business with the exceptions below.
The swim portion of all events will take place in Gordon Creek to the Chickahominy River and will impact the boat ramp and fishing pier at CRP. Local anglers, boaters and those seeking water recreation are advised that there will be no use of the boat ramp until 10 a.m. on Saturday, June 26 and the fishing pier, boat ramp and paddlecraft rentals are closed on Sunday, June 27 until approximately 1 p.m. However, the County offers a variety of alternatives for water recreation, please see the list below.
The bicycle and running legs of all events will start at CRP and cross the Judith Stewart Dresser Bridge into Charles City County. The Virginia Capital Trail will also be used for the run portion of the triathlon, and may cause minor delays to motorists during Saturday’s sprint event. Saturday events are shorter with longer distances being completed by athletes on Sunday, June 27.
The James City County Police Department (JCCPD) will be directing traffic in front of CRP during the race to aid in preventing delays as well as at other major intersections where traffic may be impacted. Bicyclists will be traveling on the roadway throughout the morning, so drivers should use caution. JCCPD has been working with event coordinators to ensure the safety of participants and motorists, with as little impact on normal traffic flow as possible.
On Sunday, June 27 expect traffic impacts on:
- Richmond Road (Route 60) from New Kent line to Forge Road will be down to one lane of travel East bound
- Little Creek Dam Road and Chickahominy Road
- Cranston Mill Pond Road will be closed to thru traffic (residents and cyclists only from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Jolly Pond Road
- Centerville Road
- Brick Bat Road will only be accessible from the Centerville side for vehicular traffic; vehicles can exit, but not enter from the Route 5 side
Boat ramps are available at
- Brickyard Landing, 990 Brickyard Road,
- Diascund Reservoir Park (electric motors only), 9551 Diascund Reservoir Park Road,
- Little Creek Reservoir Park (electric motors only) and
- James City County Marina (some restrictions apply due to the Colonial Parkway), 2054 Jamestown Road.
Kayaks, canoes and other small boats may launched at all boat ramps as well as Powhatan Creek Park, the James City County Marina and Jamestown Beach Event Park.
For more information about CRP, please call 757-258-5020 or visit the County website.
This is the fourth time REV3 Williamsburg is being hosted at CRP. Specific route maps are available online.