HISTORIC TRIANGLE — Welcome to our weekly column where we will provide a round up of events happening this weekend in and around the Historic Triangle! Below, you will find a handful of the many events happening.
If you have an event coming up or know of one that may interest your neighbors, please send us an email at Info@WYDaily.com and tell us all about it!
Friday, June 11
- Jurassic Giants at the VLM, Virginia Living Museum (Newport News), 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: Roaring, stomping, animatronic dinosaurs are back at the Virginia Living Museum! In this summer’s “Jurassic Giants” exhibit, journey back millions of years to the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods as you visit the Museum’s changing exhibit gallery and throughout the Museum grounds and experience life-like dinosaurs around every turn. Experience an almost 13-foot-tall Giganotosaurus in the Conservation Garden, accompanied by a water-spitting Suchomimus to help you stay cool in the prehistoric heat. Indoors, see other robot dinosaurs like Deinonychus. The Virginia Living Museum truly is your place for Jurassic Giants. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily through September 6, 2021. Included in museum admission.
- Fossil Finds, York River State Park Visitors Center (Williamsburg), 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: What relic from the pre-historic past did you find at Fossil Beach? Our friendly park ranger will help you identify your fossil and show a few others that have been found by keen-eyed visitors. You may discover a nearby osprey as well. Other details: Extra fee: No. Children welcome: Yes. Phone: 757-566-3036 Email Address: YorkRiver@dcr.virginia.gov
- Captain Brewster’s Kids, Historic Jamestowne, 12:30-1:30 p.m.: Join in the ranks with Captain Brewster and train to defend Jamestown! As a new recruit, learn the manual of arms for the halberd—“a most ancient and honorable pole arm”—and then march in the “Grand Parade” inside James Fort! Captain Edward Brewster arrived in Jamestown in 1610 as the Captain of Lord De La Warr’s 50 man honor guard, made up of halberdiers. He will offer personal experiences at Jamestown, reflect on the challenges the settlers have faced, and will be available for “interviews” at the end of the drill session. For kids ages 6 and up. Children must be accompanied by an adult chaperone. Free with paid admission to Historic Jamestowne.
Saturday, June 12
Williamsburg Farmers Market, Francis St. W. (Williamsburg), 8 a.m.-12 p.m.: Visit the Williamsburg Farmers Market in our new location in the Francis Street parking lot, 401 W. Francis Street! This Virginia producer-only market offers a variety of local products, including fresh seasonal produce, a variety of meats and seafood, herbs, potted plants, baked goods, confections, honey, cheese, coffee, peanuts, cut flowers, handmade soaps, and more. Enjoy live music and demonstrations, participate as a family in the Power of Produce (POP) Club, and learn while you shop! Saturdays April 3 through December 18 8:00 am -12:00 pm. The Market accepts cash, credit cards, SNAP, and W&M Express. See website for music, entertainment and vendor information. Free parking available.
- Yorktown Market Days – Saturday Farmers Market, Riverwalk Landing (Yorktown), 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Enjoy spectacular views of the York River, live music at select markets, food trucks, and a variety of vendors! Shop for seasonal produce; fresh seafood and meats; breads; fresh-cut flowers; handmade soaps and candles; honey; gourmet dog treats; and a beautiful display of work from local artists and artisans. Free. EBT/SNAP cards accepted. Come see why we are the GOLD winner of Best Farmers Market in all of Hampton Roads for the second year in a row, by the readers of Coastal Virginia Magazine. Per the updated Executive Order 72, fully vaccinated individuals are not required to wear a mask at the market. Those individuals who are not vaccinated should continue to wear a mask. *Due to the evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, all 2021 events are subject to change including times, dates, and locations.
- Virginia State Parks History and Culture Day, York River State Park Visitor Center, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.: The York is one of the great historic rivers in Virginia. Comeand discover interesting things about our shoreline and people who made their home here! 10 am to noon Three Rivers & Three Peoples Hike, 10 am to 3 pm Taskinas Plantation Display. Other details: Extra fee: No. Children welcome: Yes. Phone: 757-566-3036 Email Address: YorkRiver@dcr.virginia.gov
- Yorktown Armed Forces and Military Appreciation Day, Watermen’s Museum (Yorktown), 10 a.m.-5 p.m.: *Featured in WYDaily!* Join the Watermen’s Museum for a patriotic salute to our Armed Forces as we celebrate the contributions of our American Heroes Past – Present – Future. The Town wide event includes the York County Market 8 – 12, WWII Living History, storytelling, Antique Cars and historic crafts and exhibits at York Hall. War of 1812 living history, Historic Crafts, Cannon Firing, Music and more at the Watermen’s Museum with a special ceremony honoring veterans at 12:00, and a ceremony honoring the anniversary of the 1813 Battle of the RCS Surveyor at 2:30. Special exhibits also at the York County Historical Museum and Museum on Main, Mobjack Bay Coffee Roasters, and The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown. Catch a free trolley ride, and visit all of the sites in Beautiful Historic Yorktown.
- Saturday Beers & Beats, Virginia Beer Company (Williamsburg), 4-7 p.m.: Live music season is here! Welcome the area’s finest music makers to The Virginia Beer Company‘s beer garden every Saturday from 4-7 pm! Brewery + Beer Garden open from 12-9:30 pm! Featuring live music and bites from some of the area’s best food trucks too.
Sunday, June 13
- 3rd Annual Show & Shine Car Show to Cure Parkinson’s Disease, Williamsburg Antique Mall (Lightfoot), 11 a.m.-4 p.m.: 3rd Annual Show & Shine Car Show to Cure Parkinson’s Disease. Sunday ,June 13, 2021 ,Williamsburg Antique Mall,11 am-4pm, 500 Lightfoot Road Williamsburg ,Va 23188. Open to all makes, models, years – cars, trucks & motorcycles. Enjoy the day ,support a great cause and take home some treasures from the Mall! Donations accepted to benefit the American Parkinson’s Disease Association (APDA). DJ, raffle, door prizes,& restaurant on site. Sponsored by the Williamsburg Antique Mall and the Classic Cruisers Car Club (CCCC). Show chairs Al Crane (CCCC) & Scott Brubaker, Jr. (APDA & APEX Care) . Info Wes Taylor www.antiqueswilliamsburg.com 757-776-0094 or Al Crane – Classic Cruisers Car Club email@example.com Spectators Welcome. Please observe social distancing guidelines.
- Going-in-Seine, York River State Park Visitors Center (Williamsburg), 1-3 p.m.: Come to the Seining Beach, the river access point just past Shelter #3 left of Woodstock Pond. Rangers will use seine nets to discover the various fish and shellfish who make their home in the brackish waters of the York River. Other details: No extra fees, children are welcome. Call (757) 566-3036 or email YorkRiver@dcr.virginia.gov for more information.
- Roaming Ranger, York River State Park Visitors Center (Williamsburg), 4-5 p.m.: With over two thousand acres, the park has a wide variety of life in the wetlands and woods. Meet with our naturalist/ranger who will help you discover the aquatic, insect, mammal, and plant life in the park’s ecosystems. Other details: No extra fees, children are welcome. Call (757) 566-3036 or email YorkRiver@dcr.virginia.gov for more information.
- Sunset Paddle, Taskinas Creek Dock at York River State Park, 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.: End the weekend with a scenic trip on the York River (or Taskinas Creek depending on water conditions) in the evening. Discover the birds and creatures that are active in the gentle light of sunset. Cost. Canoes $9/person or $6/person (family of 4+), solo kayak $16/person, tandem kayak $11/person. Prepayment required with reservation. Other details: Extra fee: No. Children welcome: Yes. Phone: 757-566-3036 Email Address: YorkRiver@dcr.virginia.gov
CHECK OUT MORE FROM WYDAILY: