TIDEWATER — Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Historic Triangle can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of April 18-24.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
- Full directional closure westbound for tide gate system repairs on April 17 from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on April 20-22 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., with intermittent stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes each after midnight.
- Mobile, single-lane closures eastbound on April 20 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures southbound on April 19 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures northbound on April 21 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on April 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on April 23 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on April 18 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed April 18-22 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive near Bruton High School on April 19 and near Great Wolf Lodge on April 20 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- April 19-22 from 8-11 p.m.
- April 21-22 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- April 23 from 8 p.m. to April 25 at 11 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- April 19-22 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- April 23 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- April 24 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- April 25 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on April 18-23 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on April 18-23 from as early as 7 p.m. to as late as 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16).
- Alternating, nighttime, single-lane closures on northbound Witchduck Road at the I-264 overpass. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Multi-lane, progressive lane closures on I-264 in both directions beginning April 23, as well as brief, intermittent slow rolls with stoppages of up to 20 minutes in both directions of I-264. Click here for the full traffic alert.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES: