TIDEWATER — Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Historic Triangle can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of April 11-17.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
- Single-lane closures westbound on April 12 and April 15 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full directional closure westbound for tide gate testing on April 17 from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Mobile, single-lane closure southbound on April 13 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures northbound on April 14 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on April 14-15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on April 16 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
- Full closure of the I-64 east collector-distributor lanes near Jefferson Avenue (Exit 255) on April 12-15 from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed April 11-15 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages to shift traffic to new traffic pattern on the Route 143/Merrimac Trail on-ramp and acceleration lane to I-64 east beginning as early as the evening of April 14.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive at Bruton High School April 12-16 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpasses April 12-16 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on April 12 from 9-11:30 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- April 12-15 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- April 16 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- April 17 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- April 18 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on April 11-16 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16)
- Alternating, nighttime, single-lane closures on northbound Witchduck Road at the I-264 overpass. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Newtown Road to I-264 east on:
- April 11, 17 and 18 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- April 12-16 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures of I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on April 11-17 from as early as 7 p.m. to as late as 10 a.m., with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
- Multi-lane, progressive lane closures on I-264 in both directions beginning April 9, as well as brief, intermittent slow rolls with stoppages of up to 20 minutes in both directions of I-264. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Full closure of the off ramp from I-95 north to Route 58 east (Exit 11A) on April 13 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- Aromas introduces new smoothie, gives back to Sentara patients
- Virginia plans to say goodbye to single-use plastics… gradually
- W&M, VCU Health System partner to open new clinic in Williamsburg
- City of Williamsburg Economic Development Department Wins Award
- Williamsburg Drug Co. brings specialized care to its customers