TIDEWATER — Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Historic Triangle can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of April 4-10.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
- Alternating, single-lane closures eastbound on April 6-8 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure westbound on April 6-8 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
- Full closure of the I-64 east collector-distributor lanes near Jefferson Avenue (Exit 255) on April 6-8 from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed April 6-8, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive at Bruton High School April 7-9 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpasses on April 6 from noon to 4 p.m. and April 7-9 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Fenton Mill Road west of Route 199 on April 6 from noon to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- April 6-7 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- April 8 from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- April 6-8 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- April 9 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- April 10 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- April 11 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on April 6-10 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16)
- Alternating, nighttime, single-lane closures on northbound Witchduck Road at the I-264 overpass. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures of I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on April 6-8 from as early as 7 p.m. to as late as 5 a.m., with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
- Multi-lane, progressive lane closures on I-264 in both directions beginning April 9, as well as brief, intermittent slow rolls with stoppages of up to 20 minutes in both directions of I-264. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Full closure of the off ramp from I-95 north to Route 58 east (Exit 11A) on April 8 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES: