JAMESTOWN — The renovation project at the James City County Marina is well underway.
The project was started on Nov. 27, 2020 and has two phases. The marina expects for Phase 1 to be completed this spring.
Phase 1 includes:
- Dredging of the basin.
- Demolition and replacement of an existing fixed dock and uncovered slips with a new floating ADA accessible dock system equipped with power and water hookups.
- Demolition of the fixed docks in the waterman’s cove area (except the boat lift).
- Installation of a new dedicated canoe/kayak launch area.
- Installation of a living shoreline.
- Relocation of an existing fueling tank and controls with new dispenser and distribution line.
- Electrical and lighting improvements (residents can expect some service disruption).
- Pedestrian improvements and asphalt repairs.
Alister Perkinson, park administrator for the James City County Parks and Recreation, said that the contract finishing date is July 3. However this date is tentative as other factors may arise that may slow the progress.
“Once we have a better feel for the timeline, then we’ll have a finish date before the project is complete,” he said on March 24.
While the renovations have been underway, it has not affected the operational hours of both Billsburg Brewery and the marina.
The refueling station, boat ramp and paddle craft floating launch will remain closed until renovations are complete. The tentative completion date is mid-summer 2021.
Residents who need marine fuel during construction can refuel at Surry Seafood Company Marina, 633 Marina Drive in Surry.
Those who want to rent and launch paddlecraft can go to Chickahominy Riverfront Park, 1350 John Tyler Highway in Williamsburg, and Little Creek Reservoir Park, 180 Lakeview Drive in Toano. Padd Paddlecraft can also launched at Jamestown Beach Event Park, 2205 Jamestown Road in Williamsburg, and the Powhatan Creek and Blueway, 1831 Jamestown Road in Williamsburg, county officials said.
Boaters can go to the Chickahominy Riverfront Park.
For more information, call the James City County Marina at 757-565-3699.
For more information about refueling, call 757-294-3700.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- UPDATE: Her son died in a car crash. Now this mother is advocating for change
- Foodie’s Corner: A Taster’s look into King’s Arms Tavern’s menu
- Military Through the Ages at Jamestown Settlement looked a little different this year
- Governor Ralph Northam to sign landmark legislation abolishing the death penalty