TIDEWATER — Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Historic Triangle can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of March
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
- Single-lane closures westbound on:
- March 26 from 9 p.m. to 7 am.
- March 27 from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures northbound on March 21-25 from as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Mobile, single-lane closures northbound on March 23 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, double-lane closures in both directions on March 22-25 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure westbound on March 25 from 7 p.m. to midnight.
- Alternating, mobile, singe-lane closures in both directions on March 22 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, singe-lane closures southbound March 23 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64, Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) as needed March 21-25 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpasses March 22-26 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Fenton Mill Road east of Route 199 March 22-24 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- March 21 from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- March 24 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- March 22-25 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- March 26 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- March 27 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- March 28 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-264 east (outside set) off-ramp to I-64 west (exit 14B) on March 25-26 from midnight to 4 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures of I-264 in both directions from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on March 21-27 from as early as 8 p.m. to as late as 10 a.m., with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (exit 16)
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on March 21-26 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (exit 16) to Newtown Road (exit 15) beginning on March 26 at 7 p.m. through March 29 at 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Newtown Road to I-264 east on:
- March 20-21 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- March 22-26 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/38YG7DL
Other Notable Closures:
- Ongoing closure with detour of a portion of Winwood Drive at eastbound Laskin Road (on the southside of Laskin Road). Click here for the full traffic alert: conta.cc/3qFnYCj
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES: