Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of March 7-13.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closures westbound on March 9 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures northbound on March 7-8 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures southbound on March 10-11 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages in both directions, lasting less than 20 minutes each, on March 6 from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on March 8-9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed March 7-11 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- New traffic pattern in place on the Route 143/Merrimac Trail on-ramp and acceleration lane to I-64 east beginning as early as the evening of March 9.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpasses March 8-12 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- March 11 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- March 14 from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
For a full list of on-going traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- March 8-11 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- March 12 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- March 13 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- March 14 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on March 7-12 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16).
- Phased opening of the Greenwich Road flyover (spanning I-264 and connecting with Cleveland Street) as early as March 8. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Ongoing closure with detour of a portion of Winwood Drive at eastbound Laskin Road (on the southside of Laskin Road). Click here for the full traffic alert.