Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Feb. 28 to March 6.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closures eastbound on March 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Mobile, single-lane closures northbound on March 2 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closures southbound on March 2-4 from as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A series of bridge test openings, lasting less than 20 minutes each, in both directions on Feb. 28 from 4-6 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages in both directions, lasting less than 20 minutes each, on March 6 from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Single-lane closures from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Eastbound on Feb. 28
- Westbound on March 1
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound on March 1 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures southbound on March 2-4 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures northbound on March 1-4 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures northbound on March 3 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed Feb. 28 to March 4 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- New traffic pattern in place on the Route 143/Merrimac Trail on-ramp and acceleration lane to I-64 east beginning as early as the evening of March 3.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpasses March 1-5 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive near Route 143/Merrimac Trail starting as early as March 4 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- Feb. 27 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- March 3 from 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- March 6 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
For a full list of on-going traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- March 1-4 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- March 5 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- March 6 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- March 7 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp to I-64 west from South Military Highway on March 4-5 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Click here for the full traffic alert.
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on Feb. 28 to March 5 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures in both directions of I-264 from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Feb. 28 to March 6 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) beginning on Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. through March 1 at 5 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on March 5-6, from 8 p.m. to 10 a.m., with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 10 p.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16)
- Ongoing closure with detour of a portion of Winwood Drive at eastbound Laskin Road (on the southside of Laskin Road). Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Traffic shifts scheduled on eastbound and westbound Laskin Road near the bridge over Linkhorn Bay. Click here for the full traffic alert.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on Mercury Boulevard (Route 258) west between Big Bethel Road and Aberdeen Road on March 1-5 from 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.