Authorities are investigating a car crash near the Warhill Sports Complex that left a James City County woman dead.
A James City County woman died two weeks after she crashed into a swampy area near the Warhill Sports Complex, authorities said.
“On Jan. 31 at approximately 10:45 a.m., James City County Police and Fire Departments responded to a single-vehicle traffic crash in the 4300 block of Longhill Road,” according to a JCC PD news release. “Officers and Fire personnel arrived to find a 2007 Cadillac upside down and submerged in a swampy area.”
Authorities said the driver, Vanessa Nicole Gray, 26, was trapped in the vehicle underwater. The driver was removed by medical personnel and transported to the Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center “breathing on her own but unconscious.”
She was later transported to VCU Medical Center in Richmond and died there on Feb. 14 at approximately 5:30 p.m. from injuries she sustained in the January crash.
“She was underwater for approximately 15 minutes so she never regained consciousness,” said Stephanie Williams, spokesperson for the JCC Police Department, adding the time was estimated based on witness accounts.
Williams noted there were “icy conditions that morning” and no signs of foul play.
She added the investigation is still ongoing.
YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- ‘Vaccinate Virginia’ website is now live. Here’s what that means
- Here are the times and places to get ashes for Ash Wednesday
- Virginia is on its way to abolishing the death penalty. Meanwhile, a mother shares both grief and relief
- York County Planning Commission approves home-based firearms, gunsmithing business
- Work underway to expand Sadler Center
- JCC Parks & Rec host spring break for kids, teens
- Walsingham’s athletic director named ‘Athletic Administrator of the Year’