Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Feb. 14-20
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closures westbound on Feb. 16-18 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound on Feb. 18 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Slow rolls on I-64, lasting less than 10 minutes, in both directions from South Military Highway (Route 13/460) to the High Rise Bridge on Feb. 19 from midnight-4 a.m.
- A series of bridge test openings, lasting less than 20 minutes each, in both directions on Feb. 21 from 4-6 a.m.
- Single-lane closures in both directions on Feb. 16-19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) as needed Feb. 14-18, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpasses Feb. 15-19, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 should follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of the I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
For a full list of on-going traffic impacts and lane closures, visit the project traffic alerts page.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- Feb. 15-18 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Feb. 19 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Feb. 20 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Feb. 21 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 / I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on Feb. 14-19 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures in both directions of I-264 from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Feb. 14-18 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., with two or more lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) beginning on Feb. 19 at 7 p.m. through Feb. 22 at 5 a.m.
- Ongoing, consecutive right shoulder closure on I-264 east at the overpass just before Witchduck Road (Exit 16).
- Ongoing closure with detour of a portion of Winwood Drive at eastbound Laskin Road (on the southside of Laskin Road). Click here for the full traffic alert.