After recent spikes in COVID-19, the Historic Triangle began to see a glimmer of hope in the fight against the pandemic, with front-line workers beginning to receive vaccinations.
At the same time, saying this was “no time to let down our guard,” Gov. Ralph Northam signed an executive order extending December’s restrictions through the end of February.
With so much happening so quickly, here is a roundup of other coronavirus-related news.
VDH launches text messaging service for test result awareness and exposure notification
Starting Thursday, Jan. 28, VDH began sending automatically-triggered text messages to those who receive a positive COVID-19 viral test result in Virginia. The aim is to provide rapid notification and to encourage anyone who has tested positive for to stay home and away from others.
The service provides a link to the COVIDWISE Verification Code Portal, where those who test positive may anonymously submit test results through the free COVIDWISE COVID-19 Exposure Notifications app.
Messaging is also available in Spanish.
Riverside Health System highlights weekly updates
To help keep patients and communities up to date, Riverside Health System’s website is now sharing a weekly update through its digital vaccine tracker, including:
- Number of doses ordered
- Number of doses received
- Number of first doses administered
- Number of vaccination appointments scheduled
Dr. Mike Dacey, president and chief operating officer for Riverside, is also sharing weekly COVID-19 updates on Tuesday evenings via the health system’s social media channels.
As of Wednesday, Jan. 27, Riverside Health System said it has distributed 93% of its allotted COVID-19 vaccine doses, and expects to use 100% of the remaining supply by the end of the week.
Here are some recent COVID-19 topics you may have missed:
- Williamsburg Health Foundation announced $1 million in grants to help prevent renter evictions
- Utility relief is available
- Help is available for area businesses
- Five things to know about taxes in a pandemic
- Gov. Northam extends COVID-19 restrictions through the end of February
- Williamsburg city manager extends staff telework directive
- York County schools staff receives vaccines
COVID-19 vaccine updates
- Free hotline established for questions regarding Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center vaccination clinic
- WindsorMeade begins vaccinations
- Community conversation with Dr. Anthony Fauci to be rescheduled
The latest numbers for the Peninsula Health District, including the Historic Triangle are below, courtesy of the Virginia Department of Health’s COVID-19 Dashboard: