Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Dec. 27 through Jan. 2.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures eastbound on Dec. 29 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, double-lane closures from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Eastbound on Dec. 29
- Westbound on Dec. 30
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on Dec. 28 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- Dec. 28-30, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Click here full list of project traffic alerts.
YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.