With the holidays comes decorated trees, lights, candles, so it is time for some safety reminders. While candles are beautiful and make homes feel cozy and inviting, they present significant fire risks, which increase the chances for holiday fun to become a holiday disaster.
Candles are one of the leading causes for home fires and home fire injuries according to the National Fire Protection Association. The NFPA also reports that candles cause one-third of home fires around the holidays.
York County Department of Fire Safety posted the following tips from the NFPA to help keep the community safe.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle. Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach, in a locked cabinet.
- Keep candles at least a foot away from anything that can burn.Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
- Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.