Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Dec. 13-19.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closures eastbound on Dec. 12-13 from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures westbound on Dec. 15 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures northbound on Dec. 15 and southbound on Dec. 16 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closures southbound on Dec. 14-17 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, double-lane closures from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Eastbound on Dec. 14
- Westbound on Dec. 17
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on Dec. 14 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound on Dec. 15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on Dec. 16 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) Dec. 13-17, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass Dec. 14-17, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive west of Route 199/Newman Road (Exit 234) Dec. 15-18, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Single lane closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail at the I-64 overpass near Camp Peary (Exit 238) Dec. 17-18, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143/Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on Dec. 12 and Dec. 19 from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Click here for more information.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- Dec. 14-17, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Dec. 18, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Dec. 19, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Dec. 20, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the off-ramp from I-64 east to George Washington Highway (Exit 296A) on Dec. 14 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures in both directions of I-264 from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Dec. 13-18 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., with more than two lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
Laskin Road Widening and Bridge Replacement Project – City of Virginia Beach:
- Closure with detour of a portion of Winwood Drive at eastbound Laskin Road (on the southside of Laskin Road) on Dec. 16-23. Click here for more information.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.