Those feeling cooped up because of the coronavirus pandemic may want to check out this locality’s winter programs.
James City County Parks & Recreation is hosting several events from cookie decorating to group fitness classes starting this month.
“As the impacts of COVID-19 continue to be felt, we ask for your patience, flexibility and support,” according to the county’s website. “We depend on you, our patrons, to follow safety and social distancing guidelines as regularly released by the Governor of Virginia, the Virginia Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”
The activities listed below are happening throughout the winter months and are subject to change per social distancing guidelines. You can see the entire list of programs here.
- Holiday Mindfulness Workshop– Ages 5+ Wednesday, Dec. 9, 4:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Freedom Park. $5
- Conversational Spanish for Kids– Ages 7-12. Mondays, Dec. 14-Feb. 1, 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Zoom Meeting. Free. Deadline to register is Dec. 12.
- Holiday Cookie Decorating– Ages 7-13. Friday, Dec. 18, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. James City County Recreation Center. $25
- (link to the story)
- Virginia Legacy Recreational Soccer- Ages 6-12. Monday, Dec. 28-3-, 9 a.m. to noon. $80. Monday, Dec. 28-30, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. $125.
- Got Goo – Fun & Sticky Sensory Play!- All Ages & Abilities.. Wednesday, Dec. 16, 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. James City County Recreation Center. Free.
Teens and adults
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Re-Certification- Ages 15 years and older. Saturday, Dec. 19, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. James City County Recreation Center. $60.
- Group Fitness Classes– Ages 14 years and older. See the current class schedule, visit the JCC Parks & Rec website jamescitycountyva.gov or call 757-259-4200. James City County Recreation Center.
- Days of Discovery Winter Break Program– Ages 5-22 with disabilities. Monday, Dec. 28-30. 9 a.m. to noon. James City County Recreation Center. $45. Deadline to register is Dec. 21 at 10 a.m. For more information or to register, call 757-259-5354.
For more information about the James City County Parks & Recreation programs or to sign up for classes, visit their registration system –– Perfect Mind ––here or call 757-259-4200.
For all outdoor classes and events, call the Activities Hotline at 757-259-3232 if inclement weather is in the forecast. The 2.95% convenience fee is waived for people who sign up for the programs with a credit or debit card through Dec. 30.
You can download the Fall 2020 Destination Recreation Activity Brochure here website or you can pick up a hard copy at the following locations.
- James City County Recreation Center, 5301 Longhill Road
- Abram Frink Jr. Community Center, 8901 Pocohantas Trail
- Chickahominy Riverfront Park, 1350 John Tyler HIghway
- James City County Satellite Services, 3127 Forge Road
- James City County library, 7770 Croaker Road
- Williamsburg Library, 515 Scotland St.