Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Dec. 6-12.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Full closure eastbound for tide gate testing on Dec. 6 from 2-3 a.m. More information here.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on Dec.7-10 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on Dec. 12 from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Full closure westbound for tide gate testing on Dec. 6 from 3-4 a.m. More information here.
- Mobile, single-lane closures on Dec. 8 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on Dec. 10-11 from 9 p.m. to as late as 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures southbound on Dec. 6 from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures southbound on Dec. 8 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Express Lanes, Norfolk:
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on:
- Dec. 7-11 from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Dec. 7-10 from 9 a.m. to as late as noon
- Dec. 12 from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) Dec. 6-10, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift and brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled overnight starting as early as Dec. 6, on I-64 west starting from just west of the Route 143/Camp Peary overpass (Exit 238) to just west of the Queens Creek bridge. More information here.
- Traffic shift and brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled overnight starting as early as Dec. 8, on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass bridges. More information here.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass Dec. 7-10, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- Dec. 6-10, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Dec. 11 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Dec. 12 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Dec. 13 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief, intermittent stoppages eastbound on Shell Road at the I-64 overpass overnight Dec. 10, starting no earlier than 9 p.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures in both directions of I-264 from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Dec. 6-11 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., with more than two lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.