Sunday, February 25, 2024

W&M men’s basketball played its first game Saturday. Now they’re ‘pausing’ team activities due to ‘COVID-19 protocol’

(WYDaily/Courtesy of Tribe Athletics)
(WYDaily/Courtesy of Tribe Athletics)

The William & Mary men’s basketball program paused all team activities following a positive COVID-19 test within the team’s Tier 1 personnel.

The program was notified of a positive result on Sunday as part of the program’s regular surveillance testing.

In following guidelines set forth by the CDC, the Virginia Department of Health, the NCAA and campus community, all Tier 1 members of the program (players, coaches, trainers and managers) will quarantine for 14 days.

This is the highest exposure tier and consists of individuals for whom physical distancing and face coverings are not possible or effective during athletic training or competition. Examples of relevant individuals include student-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers and physical therapists, medical staff, equipment staff and officials.

“The health and safety of our student-athletes, staff and community will always be the priority,” Interim Athletics Director Jeremy Martin said in a prepared statement.  “We will continue to work closely with university leadership and our medical personnel to ensure we are maintaining the safest possible environment for all involved.”

The Tribe will not travel to Raleigh, North Carolina for Monday night’s game at NC State.

Games at home against Hampton (Dec. 3), at George Washington (Dec. 5), at Norfolk State (Dec. 9) and at Virginia (Dec. 12) will not be played as scheduled.

Barring any additional setbacks, the program aims to return to activity on Monday, Dec. 14.

The Tribe played Old Dominion University’s Monarchs Saturday – the Monarchs won the contest, 86-78, at Chartway Arena.


John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzo
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.

Related Articles