Thanksgiving is Thursday and many may be sticking local and forgoing family gatherings because of the coronavirus.
Be that as it may, localities in the Historic Triangle have adjusted their schedules — government employees get to have time off and enjoy their turkey, too.
Before heading out the door, make sure to be aware of county and city offices that are closed along with changes in schedules.
City offices will be closed Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday Nov. 27 in observance of Thanksgiving Day. Any city bills can be dropped off in the 24-hour bill drop box located in front of the Municipal Building or pay online.
The Quarterpath Recreation Center remains closed due to the pandemic, and the Waller Mill Park will be closed Thanksgiving Day.
Trash, leaf, and recycling pick-up is unaffected. For water emergencies after hours and on holidays, the city urges residents to call 757-220-2331 or visit the public works webpage for more information.
James City County
- County offices: Nov. 26-27
- Libraries: Nov. 25 at 5 p.m. and Nov. 26-27
- Courts: Nov. 25 at noon and Nov. 26-27
- Convenience Centers: Nov. 26
- Garbage Transfer Station: Nov. 26
- Curbside Recycling: Collection delayed one day starting Nov. 26, ie. Thursday recycling will be picked up on Friday and Friday’s recycling will be picked up on Saturday.
- James City County Recreation Center: Nov. 26
- Abram Frink Jr. Community Center: Nov. 26
- Freedom Park Store/Office: Open weekends only.
- Chickahominy Riverfront Park Store/Office: Nov. 26-27
- James City County Marina Store/Office: Nov. 26-27
- Little Creek Reservoir Park Store/Office: Nov. 26-27
- All County Parks are open.
York County Public Libraries are closing at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 25. Courts and the Virginia Cooperative Extension office are closing at noon on Wednesday.
County government offices, York-Poquoson Social Services, county libraries, Virginia Cooperative Extension office, courts and the waste management center administration will be closed Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday, Nov. 27.
All Waste Management operations are closed on Thursday, Nov. 26. Garbage and recycling collections normally scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 26, will be collected on Friday, Nov. 27. Garbage and recycling collections normally scheduled for Friday, Nov. 27, will be collected Saturday, Nov. 28.
Most operations, including the VPPSA Compost Facility, Goodwin Neck Transfer Station and Citizen Drop-off for recycling and/or garbage disposal will follow normal operating hours on Friday, Nov. 27 and Saturday, Nov. 28.
For more information on the garbage and recycling collection schedule, call Waste Management at 757-890-3780.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- W&M did not require ACT or SAT scores for college admission this year. How are they sorting through applicants?
- Not sure where to get a COVID-19 test in the Historic Triangle? We’ve got you covered
- One dead following fiery crash on I-64 in James City County
- Hey y’all: This ‘downstairs’ restaurant is now open for dinner