Drivers in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Nov. 22-28.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Coleman, High Rise and James River bridges.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions and other factors.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Single-lane closures eastbound on Nov. 23 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure westbound on Nov. 24 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on Nov. 22 from 6-9 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on Nov. 23-24 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
HRBT Expansion Project:
- For lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
I-64 Widening Segment III Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) Nov. 22-24, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift and brief, intermittent stoppages scheduled overnight starting as early as Nov. 22, on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure and diversion on the existing Route 199 west on-ramp to I-64 west in Lightfoot continues. Westbound traffic on Route 199 follow detour signage in place directing motorists to a new temporary median crossover to access the Route 199 east on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289) on Nov. 22-24 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Click here full list of project traffic alerts.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, multi-lane closures in both directions of I-264 from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Nov. 22-24 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., with more than two lanes closed no earlier than 9 p.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-64 east at the I-264 interchange on Nov. 22-24 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure from Witchduck Road on-ramp to I-264 west on Nov. 23-24 from 12:30-3:30 a.m.
- Full closure of the off-ramp from I-264 east to Military Highway north (Exit 13B) on Nov. 22-23 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Military Highway south to I-264 east on Nov. 22-23 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.