A New Kent man and woman were killed following a crash involving a motorcycle and a commercial vehicle in James City County Wednesday morning.
Authorities said the fatalities were a man and a woman riding a motorcycle. They were identified as Tyler Scott Hybiak, 22, and McKenzy J. Meade, 20.
Hybiak was wearing a helmet. Police said Meade, the passenger, was “reportedly not wearing a helmet.”
Hybiak died at the scene. Meade was taken to VCU Medical Center where she later died.
It happened around 6:54 a.m. James City County Police said a Chevrolet work truck driven by Hernando Velasquez, 57, of James City County, was traveling west on Olde Stage Road and was making a left turn onto Barnes Road when it turned in front of the Kawasaki motorcycle – traveling east on Olde Stage Road — ridden by the man and woman.
“The truck was traveling west on Olde Stage Road and was making a left turn onto Barnes Road when it turned in front of the motorcycle, which was traveling east on Olde Stage Road,” police department spokeswoman Stephanie Williams wrote in an email. “The motorcycle struck the rear of the work truck and caught on fire.”
Velasquez is charged with failure to yield.
“There were no other injuries,” she wrote.
The crash remains under investigation.
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THESE STORIES:
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month is nearly over, but the struggle continues
- This surplus state land in York County will be transformed into a light industrial park and solar farm
- ‘Leaders lead and she’s being silent:’ Track team, alumni react to W&M Board of Visitors’ ‘utmost confidence’ statement about Rowe
- Northam allocates CARES Act dollars to help reimburse free clinics for COVID-19 expenses, ongoing coronavirus response at public universities
- Local governments, school district talk numbers
- W&M alumna steps forward with $1.5M challenge gift for women’s athletics scholarships